The highlight of our first meeting of the new Rotary Year was the presentation of the “Rotarian of Excellence” award to fellow Rotarian Gregg Goon. Gregg was honored for his exemplary Rotary spirit, taking on the duties of Sergeant-at-Arms, serving as “fine master”, volunteering for every service project that we undertook last year, and for going the “extra mile” to serve the community.
President Mike’s first agenda included a review of his goals for the year. Membership – 3 new members; Foundation support – $2,800; Service projects – 10 already identified.
Then he reviewed the club activities scheduled for the next two months:
- July 14 – Vietnam Veterans Tribute Ride: members are asked to be at the Locke Fireman’s Field by 12:45 PM. The riders are expected to pass by shortly after 1:00 PM.
- July 17 – Club meeting will be at the Cayuga Owasco Lake Historical Society (COLHS) at 6:00 PM. We will see how the COLHS plans to use our grant money to preserve their acquisitions. Dinner from Subway.
- July 24 – Club meeting at Christ United Methodist Church with guests from Skaneateles Rotary Club. Dinner to be determined.
- July 31 – Meet at Chronicle Guidance to move books to the Firehouse. 6:00 PM start with social time at Betty Blue following.
- August 16 – Rotary Auction at Firehouse. 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Sept 2 – Ice Cream Sales at Fillmore Glen Car Show from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Mike emphasized that this was an extremely busy time for the club. He encouraged us to keep up with the club calendar of events, keep participating at meetings, and remain engaged in club service activities. “Together, we can do extraordinary things!”