Blog

Newsletter 4/9 – St Patrick’s Hall

Monthly Duties:

  • Pledge – Levi
  • 4 Way Test – Gregg
  • Invocation – Stuart
Stuart led the meeting, and made chili for everyone as the meal.
The club received a thank you letter from MHS Drama Club for supporting the show with an ad in the program.  All shows were sold out (in fact oversold), and several of the students expressed interest in continuing in the theater after graduation.
Pat Kinney, from the Moravia Hope Pantry, gave an enthusiastic presentation of the backpack program and the food pantry.  The backpack program aids over 100 children each week; the program purchases all the food distributed – 4 servings of grain, dairy, and fruits and vegetables – at a cost of $4 per bag, or $400 each week.  The food bank is servicing nearly 100 families, with over 100 meals at Thanksgiving and Christmas; in addition, personal care items are provided.  They have also arranged for the NY Food Bank mobile truck to come to Moravia.
The Hope Pantry is a non-profit, tax exempt agency working directly with the NY Food Bank.  They are located in the Chronicle Guidance Building at 66 Aurora St. and are open the first and third Saturday of each month from 10am to noon.
Val’s internment will be May 11th, 11am, at Pine Grove in Lansing.
Club Assembly will be April 16, our regular meeting day, at St Patrick’s Hall.
COLHS will be holding a dinner at the Locke Fire House April 25.  Mike has cancelled the regular club meeting on April 23 in lieu of attending the dinner.
April 30th meeting is cancelled – District Conference is the following weekend, May 3-5.  District would like clubs to bring donations for children; blankets, school supplies, stuffed animals, etc – for any age group.  Stuart, Tom, Mike, and Levi will be going, if you would like to donate something and will not be attending.

Newsletter 4/2 – Betty Blue

Monthly Duties:

  • Pledge – Levi
  • 4 Way Test – Gregg
  • Invocation – Stuart
20190402_180127The club is proud to recognize PHF, Paul Harris Fellows, Bob Balk (sapphire) and Tom Collins (double ruby).  The gems are to recognize multiple PHF honors.
Jeff Trescott has returned from Florida, where he attended Rotary meetings in between his time on the sand getting a nice tan!
The book donation to the third graders at Moravia Elementary, organized by Bethany Mendoza, was a resounding success.  John, Tom, Gregg, and Kathi were present to help and participate.  There is a wonderful article and video on the MHS website.  We are looking forward to collaborating on similar projects that have been discussed as a result.
Kathi will be attending the Career Exploration Conference at Cornell on June 25th, with the support and encouragement of the club.
Bob Balk gave his foundation report, in person; for those who missed last week, or the email:
  • We have 14 club members, 6 Paul Harris Fellows (with a +14 total), 1 major donor, 1 benefactor, 11,570 Foundation points available to the club.
  • 8 EREY (Every Rotarian, Every Year) donors with a $25 minimum
  • 4 Sustaining members with a $100 minimum
  • Our club average this year is $87/member.  District is $48/member so far.  We are ranked 9th in the district.
  • Foundation goal for the year is $2,800.  We have given $1,305 to date.
  • PolioPlus goal was $100.  We have given $3,282 – which is well above our goal!
  • 5 members are signed up for Rotary Direct, the program that allows you to bill your Foundation giving directly through a credit card either monthly, quarterly or yearly.

Mike and Levi submitted the final report for the 2018-19 grant project.  All the pieces are now in place for us to proceed with the 2019-20 project of First Aid, CPR and AED training equipment to Moravia Four Town.

DGE Randy Wilson is preparing for District Training Assembly in a few weeks.  Bob Balk is unable to attend, although hopefully, some club officers will be in attendance.  April 6 at VVS High School.  Breakfast and the training to follow.
The program April 9th will be at St. Patrick’s hall; Pat Kinney for the Moravia Hope Pantry will be presenting.  Please bring any items that you wish to donate – non-perishable food and personal care items.  Menu TBD.
Club Assembly will now be April 16 at St Patrick’s Hall.
COLHS will be holding a dinner at the Locke Fire House April 25.  Mike has cancelled the regular club meeting on April 23 in lieu of attending the dinner.
April 30th meeting is cancelled – District Conference is the following weekend, May 3-5.

Newsletter 3/26 – Betty Blue

Monthly Duties:

  • Pledge – Bethany
  • 4 Way Test – Shawn
  • Invocation – Tom
We welcomed Kathi to the meeting!  She is recovering from the musical over the weekend.  She had fun being part of the stage crew.
Books are in and book plates are printed and ready to go for Thursday morning.  Start time is 0830, so please be there early if you plan to attend and help pass out books.
9 April program by Pat Kinney for the Moravia Hope Pantry.  Meeting will be held at St. Patrick’s hall.  Menu TBD.
DGE Randy Wilson is preparing for District Training Assembly in a few weeks.  Bob Balk is unable to attend, although hopefully some club officers are.  April 6 @ VVS High School.  Breakfast and the training to follow.
Bob Balk was not present, but gave a virtual Foundation Report through an email to Mike.
  • We have 14 club members, 6 Paul Harris Fellows (with a +13 total), 1 major donor, 1 benefactor, 11,570 Foundation points available to the club.
  • 8 EREY (Every Rotarian, Every Year) donors with a $25 minimum
  • 4 Sustaining members with a $100 minimum
  • Our club average this year is $87/member.  District is $48/member so far.  We are ranked 9th in the district.
  • Foundation goal for the year is $2,800.  We have given $1,305 to date.
  • PolioPlus goal was $100.  We have given $3,282 – which is well above our goal!
  • 5 members are signed up for RotaryDirect, the program that allows you to bill your Foundation giving directly through a credit card either monthly, quarterly or yearly.
The slate of 2019-2020 officers, who start 1 July, was discussed.
President – Bob Balk
President Elect – Levi
Treasurer – Stuart
Secretary – Wayne
Past President – Mike
Sergeant at Arms – Gregg
Executive Secretary – Tom
Youth Exchange Officer – Stuart
Foundation – Tom
Membership – Bethany
Public Image Coordinator – Colleen
Director at Large – ??? (Board needs to elect someone)
Grants Management Chair – Wayne
Club Assembly to take place either 7 or 14 May to talk about general goings-on of the club and a trust update.
Levi and Mike will finish grant paperwork ASAP; hopefully tomorrow.
Tom did fines.

 

Newsletter 3/19 – Betty Blue

Monthly Duties:

  • Pledge – Bethany
  • 4 Way Test – Shawn
  • Invocation – Tom (quotes from Val)

Bethany updated us on 3rd grade book project. Books have been ordered and we are moving forward with presentation to the 3rd grade class on March 28 from 0830-0930 at Millard Fillmore Elementary. Meet at the front office area wearing Rotary clothing if you are able to attend.

Bob Balk suggested a scholarship/award for Eagle Scouts who are graduating high school. Discussion ensued. Idea tabled until we have anyone who fits that criteria graduating.

Mike received RI convention delegate card for conference in Hamburg. Will forward on to DG Marv to represent us.

March district newsletter is out. Mike highlighted a few points…

  1. Membership is down district-wide. We are still looking to add one member to our club this year.
  2. Grant application for 19-20 has been submitted. Thanks to Wayne for spearheading paperwork!
  3. District Changing of the Guard will be Thursday, June 27 at Traditions at The Links in Syracuse. More info to come.
  4. District Assembly will be April 6 @ VVS High School. Time TBA; most likely AM to early PM. Breakfast is usually served by VVS FFA.
  5. District Celebration (aka District Conference) is coming up! If you haven’t registered, please do so ASAP. This year’s donation drive will be for foster kids in the district. Saturday night is cocktail attire or your best Roaring ’20s garb!
  6. We were mentioned in the DeWitt article about Books for the World. Thanks to DeWitt for their “muscle” on this project!

Levi and Mike will finalise this year’s grant paperwork (Historical Society preservation goods) this weekend.

We are all thinking of Bob Copley as he continues on the mend!

Flooding in the Midwest is happening – Maybe a Rotary fund drive in the future?

We recieved a patch for our donation to this year’s Rose Parade float for Rotary.

Letter from MCS about scholarships was also received. Colleen to contact school. If you wish to be on the scholarship committee this year, please contact her.

A longtime Rotary Auction patron will be downsizing soon and wanted Stuart to take a look at some of the things she has. After visiting and “shopping” he made a list of viable options for our auction in August. We thank them for thinking of us and their gracious donations!

Foundation report from Bob Balk – We are at 33% of our goal for the year. Our PolioPlus goal has been blown out of the water as we are at a whopping 3,282% of our goal!

Pat Kinney will be presenting on behalf of Hope Food Pantry at an upcoming meeting. Mike will contact her to set up a day that works for all.

Gregg did fines.

 

Newsletter 3/12 – Betty Blue

Monthly Duties:

  • Pledge – Bethany
  • 4 Way Test – Shawn
  • Invocation – Tom (quotes from Val)

A few members brought in food and personal care items to donate to the Hope Food Pantry.  This is the only pantry in Moravia now; a $6 donation (monetary or in kind) equates to 35 lbs of meat able to be purchased.

Tom gave the club an update on Joan, and Gregg was able to attend his first meeting in a while.  Here’s to both of them feeling better!

Wayne reported that there was slight complication with the District Grant, but that it had been sorted out; missed filling out a few sections and a misunderstanding on wording.  Both, the First Aid Instructor Kit and Training and the Scholarship application, were submitted.

Mike and Levi are in the process of completing the Grant Final Report for 2018-19.

The club polio fund collection, RotoPig, is at $65, with $3300 donated in Val’s name.

The club received thanks for contributing to the Books for the World; the $115 donation contributed to purchasing multiple pallets.

There will be a Finance Committee meeting, before the regular club meeting – 3/19, at 5pm at Mike’s office.

March 23rd, Jamie (from the Betty Blue), will be participating in a Polar Plunge at Taughannock Falls (yes I had to Google how to spell Taughannock).  There is a donation jar at the Betty Blue with proceeds benefiting the Special Olympics.

The Vernon-Verona-Sherrill club is asking for volunteers for two FFA breakfast events; March 23-24 and March 30-31, 7am – 12pm (can do one or more for one or more hours) at VVS High School. If you can help, please email your availability to Sarah Ouellette, the VVS FFA Advisor, at souellette@vvsschools.org.

District Training is April 6th from 8am – 12pm at VVS High School.  All club officials are encouraged to attend.

April 30th meeting is cancelled – District Conference is the following weekend, May 3-5.